However, while Mike was hanging out with Mickey and his magic I took the opportunity to explore the city. Vietnamese food is one of my most favorite cuisines so I was pumped to eat my way through Ho Chi Minh!
Sept. 23, 2014 - Checked into The Caravelle Hotel. Awesome location in District 1, right across from the beautiful opera house. (AO is playing there at the moment which is supposed to be an awesome show but we didn't go see it) The opera house was just painted beige; it used to be the European looking, bright yellow before. Could be a sign of the changing times in Ho Chi Minh City at the moment. There's so much change there, happening so quickly. Many people are concerned that they are not being careful to preserve their culture but are only concerned with making money.
I left Mike at the hotel to get some work done and went out exploring with my friend Lan Duong. I met her in Korea way back in 2000. She's Vietnamese American and moved from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City 3 years ago with her husband and daughter Thuy Linh. She and her driver swung by to get me and we went straight to Ben Thanh Market; the oldest market in HCMC.
We had fresh sugarcane juice and a dessert. I had a green bean (or maybe mung bean; not sure) tapioca pudding that looked weird but tasted delicious.
After the market we walked over to a nail salon. I stopped in front of the tallest building in HCMC to take a photo. There's not many skyscrapers there yet but things are a-changing there that's for sure!
After our toes were beautiful we did some more serious shopping at an art gallery (Tara and Ky's Art Gallery at: 48 Dong Du St., District 1; www.tarakys.com) and another local clothing market, where I picked up some fun (fake) clothes for my kids.
Dinner that night was amazing: I loved how the bathrooms smelled like lemon grass. I love how all of Vietnam smells like lemon grass; the shampoo, the bathrooms, the restaurants!





No comments:
Post a Comment