Friday, May 6, 2011

Easter 2011


Easter was late this year...April 24!

Last year we spent Easter in tears all day b/c my dear friend Michelle passed away the day before. This year we had the Dimonds over on the one year anniversary of Michelle's passing as well as the day before Easter.

Easter Saturday we had an egg hunt and barbecue with our Singapore neighbors, the Stevens. They invited 4 families and we invited 4 families and we made it a big "block party."

10 families makes for a LOT of kids to find a LOT of eggs! There are lots of Singapore rules to take into consideration when having an egg hunt in Singapore:
1. The eggs must have wrapped candy in them or the ants will attack them in 2 seconds. 2. There can be no chocolate in the eggs or they will melt in 2 seconds.



Carson and Jack are ready:




Haley D. was the official Skylar watcher! These 2 have a special bond!


I found out recently that Norm likes durian - the official fruit of Singapore. So, since most of us had never tasted it I decided to have a durian while Norm was over.

We kept the durian out in the backyard until it was time to cut it because the smell is so bad. Instantly after cutting into it, the entire house smelled disgusting.

Man, it is disgusting!!! Beyond disgusting! Seriously, God has a sense of humor because I cannot figure out why he would create a fruit that is so nasty!




Mike and I both tasted it for the fist time. Norm suggested spreading it on crackers. We did that and I ate one bite and had to eat a brownie really quick to hide the taste of the durian.

Bailey and Sammy were not brave enough to try the fruit but some of their friends were...
Ashlyn was a good sport and thought it tasted like onion:

Lisel was excited to try it: I love the look on her face BEFORE:


Then the shock AFTER: (She ran to the bathroom and spit it out.) Smart girl.



The next morning was EASTER!!! Here's the excited gang running downstairs to see if the Easter bunny came...


Carson confirmed that HE CAME! The proof was right there by the back door of the kitchen: footprints shaped like a bunny's. I wonder why they taste like powdered sugar?











I love holidays and all of the traditions that help bring our family closer. Going to church on Easter Sunday as a family is one of those traditions, just like the egg hunt, the bunny and all the candy. Aren't they sweet in their Sunday best?









1 comment:

jane said...

i can't believe you let that durian in your house!
too funny.

great daynes family pic! you look beauty as always.