Monday, November 1, 2010

Monkey On The Loose!!!

There is a monkey on the loose in our neighborhood! He showed up here a month ago and has decided that he's going to call the Woodlands his home. (Our neighborhood is almost all foreigners and families with children who attend the Singapore American School.)

I took some photos of the monkey one day as I was walking back from dropping Jack off at preschool. He was just hanging out by the back gate of the school acting like he owned the place. I think he's going to stay for a long time. We have really good garbage in our neighborhood so why leave? He doesn't even have any other monkeys to compete with for food. There are many homes in our neighborhood that have banana trees, pineapple trees, mango trees and papaya trees in their gardens so I think he's here to stay!

Monkey and I are on a first name basis and I've proudly nick-named him "Monk!"

As you can imagine from a bunch of tai-tai's, that don't have much to do with their time here in Singapore, the American mom community is up in arms about the monkey! The principals at the school have sent the parents e-mails asking them to talk to their children about what to do if they see the monkey at school. The school has also called "Animal Control" here but they've been told that they won't come out to get the monkey unless they catch it first. That's hilarious...you should see the cage the security guards at the school have set up a trap to try to catch the monkey. It's just a small cage with a few grapes and a piece of melon sitting inside it...Monk is way too smart for that!






Everyone was worried about what Monk would do on Halloween night with 10,000 trick-or-treaters walking around the Woodlands with bags of candy. He was spotted over at my friend's house that day so she just got out her hose and sprayed him...I think he got the message not to mess with her!

I don't really mind the monkey in the neighborhood. He's never done anything to me and it's kind of a fun reminder that we do live in a tropical place. Now if this was a snake hanging around...that would be entirely different...

1 comment:

Brigitta said...

So funny....maybe you can catch it and make it your pet.